Creamy Kale Apple Coleslaw: Grandma’s Recipe, Updated
Growing up I wasn’t a big coleslaw fan, except for Grandma’s coleslaw with shredded apple and a sugary sweet dressing. This is my version of Grandma’s recipe, with no sugar added but it’s just as delicious! Crunchy, creamy, and sweet, with kale so you can feel good about it.
Coleslaw is a great option for a potluck party or a BBQ because it goes with everything and feeds a crowd. It is so versatile- it goes great with all BBQ items, including (but not limited to) pulled pork, burgers, BBQ chicken, ribs and kebabs. Mmmm I’m getting hungry for barbecue now! It also works well as a side dish for fish tacos.
Creamy Kale Apple Coleslaw: Recipe Tips and Variations
- For a variation on this salad, you can use green cabbage instead of red cabbage, but it will be slightly less pretty.
- You can try sliced or shredded pear instead of apple.
- If you want a sweeter salad, use a very sweet, juicy apple like Pink Lady or Honeycrisp and shred it instead of cutting it into matchsticks. Make sure to add the juice to your salad too!
- You can change the flavours of this salad by adding shredded carrots, red pepper, broccoli, brussel sprouts, radishes, green onion, red onion, bacon, raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped pecans.
- You can also add 1 tbsp dijon mustard to the dressing for a bit of a tang.
The Goddess Body Program
If you are losing weight on the Goddess Body Program, you can make this Creamy Kale Apple Coleslaw during the fat loading phase or in weeks 2 and 3 of maintenance. I have had it during the low calorie portion of the protocol without the dressing, just tossed in lemon juice and the juice from the shredded apple. It’s definitely better with mayonnaise, but it wasn’t bad!
Please Comment Below!
Let me know if you try this recipe or have any questions or comments. Do you have a recipe that reminds you of your childhood or of a loved one? Do you have a favourite crowd-pleasing recipe that you like to bring to potluck parties or BBQs? Please comment below- I love hearing from you.
Do You Love Pinterest? Pin It!
- 1/2 head red cabbage
- 4 kale leaves
- 1 apple
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (bonus points if you make it yourself!)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of celery seed
- Chop the red cabbage into thin slices and break each slice into bite-sized pieces. (You can also run it through the food processor with the slicing blade.)
- Remove the middle rib from the kale leaves and rip the kale into small pieces.
- Slice the apple into matchsticks (or you can shred it).
- Mix everything together in a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle slivered almonds on top.
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle over coleslaw and mix well or serve salad without dressing and allow people to dress their own at the table.
If you’re looking for another delicious salad recipe from My Flourless Kitchen, you might enjoy: